Employment Opportunities at Foothills School
Grade 1 & 2 Home Room Teacher
Permanent Full Time
Foothills School of Arts and Sciences
Foothills School of Arts and Sciences is an accredited PreK-9 independent school of 150 students in Boise, Idaho. Foothills uses a progressive educational approach that emphasizes challenging inquiry based instruction, with active and collaborative experiences, and a whole child emphasis. Curiosity, creativity, and critical thinking are core elements of the program. The school embraces each students unique strengths and contributions, guiding them to self-confidence and self-reflection.
Position Summary: The grade 1 & 2 homeroom teacher collaborates with a teaching team to instruct students in literacy, reading, writing, social studies and social skills, science and project based learning. The teacher assesses student progress and reports to parents on a regular basis.
The position is permanent full time (1.0 FTE) for a 10 month, exempt position. It begins in August 2015. Foothills School offers a competitive salary and benefits.
- Minimum Bachelors degree and training in elementary education and/or early childhood education. Masters degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years teaching experience in early childhood or elementary grades
- Understanding of and comfort with child-centered, experiential and project-based learning
- Flexibility and adaptability to meet needs of individual children
- Knowledge of current learning theories and child development
- Strength in social-emotional learning and student guidance
- Experience in curriculum development
- Ability to work collaboratively in a teaching team
- Demonstrated skills in verbal and written communication with students and parents
- Creative and insightful
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Passion for teaching children
- Active learner who will go the extra mile
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Instruct students in reading, writing, math, social studies, science, social skills, and project based learning.
- Develop curriculum and coordinate scope and sequence
- Instruction based on experiential and project-based pedagogy
- Assess student learning to inform instruction
- Differentiate instruction to meet individual needs
- Create a positive and nurturing class environment
- Work cooperatively with colleagues to create integrated instructional units
- Lead parent-teacher conferences
- Communication with parents using a variety of methods
- Engage in continuing professional development
- Organize and lead field trips and experiential activities
- Participate in activities outside the school day (Open House, Back to School Night, three overnight fieldtrips)
If you are interested in this position please send a resume, cover letter and two letters of reference with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the address below by May 1st. No phone calls please. Prior to applying visit the Foothills School of Arts and Sciences website at www.foothillsschool.org
Foothills School of Arts and Sciences is an equal opportunity employer. The School strives to provide equal opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, physical or mental disability, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Minorities and persons of color are encouraged to apply.
Foothills School of Arts and Sciences
618 S. 8th St.
Boise, ID 83702
Open Application: Faculty Positions
Foothills School has an open application process for qualified candidates for full- and part-time teaching positions, grades Pre-K to 9th. The school seeks candidates with a commitment to deep and rich education, collaborative team teaching, a particular interest in inquiry-based education, and a proven capacity to differentiate educational experiences at the classroom level.
For faculty positions at Foothills School:
- A Bachelor's Degree is required (with rare exceptions).
- A Master's Degree and direct classroom teaching experience preferred.
- Expertise and specialized training in specific discipline(s) and/or grade levels.
- A diverse educational and experiential background is also preferred to offer the best potential for success in our unique environment.
A teaching certification is not required for applicants to Foothills School.
A hard copy application packet should include:
- cover letter
- statement of educational philosophy
- three letters of recommendation
- an application: printable PDF Version
You may opt to complete the application process online - find the Application Form here, which allows for the attachment of the supporting documents (cover letter, statement of educational philosophy, resume/CV, letters of recommendation).
Application materials for teaching positions should be submitted to Jon Ninnemann, Head of School, 618 South 8th Street, Boise, ID 83702, or faxed to 208.331.3082.
Nondiscrimination Policy: Foothills School of Arts and Sciences does not discriminate on a basis of age, race, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability or other classifications protected by law, in all of its operations.